Trust Us With Your Justice, Call Us at (804) 207-9381

Monday - Friday: (9:00am to 4:00pm) Saturday: (By Appointment Only)

The court considers 10 factors when determining custody and/or visitation. One of these factors is the preference of the child, if the court deems the child to be of reasonable intelligence, understanding, age, and experience to express such a preference. However, other factors include the age, physical and mental health of each parent; the age, physical and mental health of the child; and each parent’s role in the child’s development, both currently and historically. Any history of family abuse is also reviewed in this decision.

The court also considers how each parent conducts the relationship with the other parent. For example, if one parent is withholding the child from the other parent, this will be noted and considered by the court. They also consider how the parents resolve conflicts.

When Will Child Support Be Awarded During The Divorce Process Or If Parents Are Not Raising The Child Together In Virginia And How Is That Amount Calculated?

The number of funds to be awarded for child support is determined by each party’s income, the cost of health insurance to pay for the child, and the amount of work-related childcare expenses. The state uses a formula for calculating the child support obligation. When the court makes a final decision on the other issues in the parties’ divorce, the child support will also be determined.

Does Virginia Recognize Alimony Or Spousal Support Awards In Divorce Cases?

Yes, spousal support can be awarded during the divorce process. However, since parties cannot file for divorce until they have been separated for 12 months, if one spouse wants to request spousal support from the other prior to the expiration of the 12 months, a petition for spousal support can be filed in the appropriate juvenile and domestic relations district court. The spousal support in juvenile court is based on the receiving party’s financial need and the paying party’s ability to pay. If support is ordered by the juvenile and domestic relations district court, it will continue until changed or terminated by the circuit court in the divorce. It’s typically the highest earner’s responsibility for paying temporary spousal support.

If the divorce has been filed, then temporary spousal support can be heard at a Pendente Lite hearing on the matter. The court will use the same reasoning at the Pendente Lite hearing as the juvenile and domestic relations district court uses.

For final hearings on divorce in the circuit courts, judges must consider 13 factors to determine whether spousal support should be granted, and if so, the amount and duration. Among these factors include the length of the marriage, the reason for divorce, the fault of each party, the monetary and non-monetary contributions of each party to the family, education levels of the parties, and their abilities to earn wages.

When Might Child Support, Spousal Support, Child Custody Or Visitation Be Up For Modification? What Would You Need To Do To Qualify For Child Custody?

To motion the court to amend child custody, visitation, child support, or spousal support, an individual must prove that there has been a material change in circumstance since entry of the last order entered. In custody and visitation matters, once the court determines a material change in circumstances has occurred, the court must also find that the material change in circumstances would be in the child(ren)’s best interest.

In seeking to amend child or spousal support, if proven that there has been a material change of circumstances, the court will recalculate support needs based on the new change. For example, perhaps an individual once began receiving child support when they were unemployed. But now, they have a job earning $55,000 a year. That is a material change in circumstances. The court will now recalculate support needs based on the new income amount of $55,000 a year for that parent.

To initiate changes to spousal or child support or custody and visitation, individuals must file a motion to amend the previous orders. This process can be less difficult with the help of an attorney.

For more information on Family Law In Virginia, an initial consultation is your next best step. Get the information and legal answers you are seeking by calling (804) 207-9381 today.

More Information

Trustice, PLLC

When Everything Is On The Line, Call Us at
(804) 376-9309

We Are Social 24/7 - Get In Touch

Accessibility Accessibility
× Accessibility Menu CTRL+U